So much love.
So little filtering.
Here’s my countdown of the top 10 most unreal things I heard when I got married.
- “Any plans for kids yet??” Yeah, nope. You volunteering to babysit and pay for college?
- “Why aren’t you changing your last name? What does your husband have to say about that?”
- “We older brides just shouldn’t wear veils.” Ah, ok. Noted.
- “GASP!” – From the audience at our rehearsal, when we reminded the pastor that I was not changing my last name. The source of this gasp is still unknown. Maybe the Downton Dowager Countess made an appearance?
- “I’m not trying to price gouge you.” – When I asked for a clearer breakdown of set-up costs.
- “HOLY CRAP. STOP EVERYTHING. I THINK I HAVE BACK FAT.” Me, during my first fitting in my actual dress, which cinched me in like a pig in a blanket.
- “SO…. when are you guys going to have kids?” Really? Enough already with the kid question. We’ll add you to the babysitting list and send you the tuition bills then too, pal.
- “You’re going to elope, right?” Mmmm… The age-old tradition of supportive family hoping you won’t hit them up for any money. Warm and fuzzies over here.
- “Feel free to redline this.” – From the pastor when handing suggested vows to me. That was unreal, in a really cool way. Music to my lawyer, and Christian-feminist, ears.
- “Oh! You’re engaged!? So are you dieting?” – A complete stranger sitting next to me at a bar while I really went after both a glass of wine, and the bowl of pasta in front of me.
Your turn. I know I’m not the only one who experienced this no filter thing. I’ve shown you mine, now show me yours. Dish in the comments below.
A big ol’ thank you to Ms. Laura Ford of Laura Ford Photography. She was our wedding photographer and now I consider her a friend. She’s just fabulous. Her work as featured in this post and elsewhere speaks for itself, but I can assure you that she is equally lovely in personality too!
Check her out here: http://www.laurafordweddingphotographer.com; and https://www.facebook.com/LauraFord.Photographer.
Smart couples. Brilliant weddings. Meaningful lives.